Monday, August 20, 2012

Learning to speak like a Budda



When I first heard the name Budapest I thought, “Wait… your going to Asia” ha ha!!! Well in case you don’t know Budapest is in Hungry. It is considered the little Paris of Eastern Europe and is not well known amongst tourist. It is a bit faster pace than Paris, but has the old, old history and architecture of most eastern –euro countries. To be honest, I enjoyed it much more than Vienna ( a very posh and beautiful modern city in Austria) only because the character the city holds is like no other. You walk around and most people do not speak English.  For this I have begun making hand guide in my journal for each place I visit. It included the currency exchange rate (this is important!!! I accidently miscalculated a cab ride in Prague and it cost me about $45 in Czech krowns for 200 meters down the street… Shitza!) It also includes important phrases as follows:


This is how you read my chart: English, Hungarian: sound like.

Can I have a beer? "Kaphatok egy sort" : eyrek say-pen may egye shirt

Please when asking for a beer   “kerek” :  care-ek
Please Formal            ledge-en-see-vesh
Hello   “hello”  : sound like A-llo
Yes    “igen” : ee-gen
No - nem
Thank you      "Koszonom"  Kur-sur-nurm
Do you speak English ?         bes-ells an-go-lul

And this one is VERY important for when people start talking to you too fast and they are mad because you did something to offend them (oopsie!)

I am very sorry I don’t speak Hungarian : Nem bes-ek-ek modge-or-ol

Typically when you say this to them as they are talking to you they slow down, sometimes stop and think, then smile and laugh. They know that you went through much effort to learn to say the phrase so they kinda chill out and then try and help you.

I have been doing this for just about every country with different languages. Travel has inspired me to learn a new language... the questions is, which one? 

Until next time lots of love!


xx



No comments:

Post a Comment